Skip to main content

Module 2.1: Anger and Being Effective

What is Anger?

Anger is an emotion associated with confrontation or judgement. The hostile thoughts and images that come to mind result in anger and various physiological reactions (eg: pounding heart) and may influence behavior.
Anger is a feeling, but is often associated with certain thoughts, behaviors, and physiological responses.
Anger may be expressed in many different ways. People may use silent treatment, sarcastic comments, or physical aggression. Others may state plainly and politely that they are angry.
Anger is a secondary emotion; this means that it comes after or is caused by a different emotion first.

How does anger help us?

Anger alerts us to situations that are not to our liking. It suggests something is wrong or unfair about something that is important to us.
Anger also sharpens our awareness of ourselves and others. It energizes us and can motivate us.
Finally, anger can encourage us to examine our expectations of ourselves and others.
Despite the negative associations people make with anger, it is a natural, normal, and necessary emotion.

How can anger cause problems when not managed effectively?

Anger can lead to hurtful, damaging situations (tantrums, insensitivity, verbal abuse, violence).
Health problems can arise from anger. Since anger is stress reaction, people with anger problems are at a greater risk for stress related illnesses and physical problems, such as high blood pressure, heart attacks, sleep disorders, and fatigue.
There is no doubt that frequent and intense anger can be harmful.

Anger is a problem when it:

-Is too frequent or chronic
-Is too intense, as in rage
-Impairs health\
-Impairs relationships
-Impairs performance at work, school, or leisure
-Hinders personal and spiritual growth

Anger Styles Questionnaire

Consider whether each of the following statements are true for you. Your answers will help you discern which style(s) of anger you lean towards.

1) I try never to get angry
2) I get really nervous when others are angry
3) I feel I'm doing something bad when I get angry

4) I tell people I'll do what they want, but then I often forget
5) I say things like "Yeah, but..." and "I'll do it later"
6) People tell me I must be angry but I'm not sure why

7) I get jealous a lot, even when there is no reason
8) I don't trust people very much
9) Sometimes it feels like people are out to get me

10) My anger comes on really fast
11) I act before I think when I get angry
12) My anger goes away very quickly after I explode

13) I get very angry when people criticize me
14) People say I am easily hurt and oversensitive
15) I get angry when I feel bad about myself

16) I get mad to get what I want
17) I try to scare others with my anger
18) I can pretend to be very mad when I'm really okay

19) Sometimes I get angry just for the excitement or action
20) I like the strong feelings that come with my anger
21) My anger takes over and I go out of control

22) I seem to get angry all the time
23) I just can't break the habit of getting angry a lot
24) I get mad without thinking - it just happens

25) I become very angry when I defend my beliefs and opinions
26) I become outraged about others try to get away with
27) I always know when I am right in an argument

28) I hang on to my anger for a long time
29) I have a hard time forgiving people
30) I hate people for what they've done to me

Anger Styles Overview

Use your answers from the questionnaire above as a guide to help you find which anger styles fit you. You might lean heavily towards one or two styles, or relate to more of them. Read through them all and decide for yourself which you identify with.

Hidden Styles - These individuals are partly or mostly unaware/unaccepting of their anger.

a) Anger Avoidance
- If you identified with statements 1,2, and 3, this style may describe you.
- Anger avoidance is caused by the belief that anger is bad, scary, or useless. It cannot be used appropriately this way.
- Treatment includes learning assertiveness, separating the concepts of selfishness and self-caring, and giving yourself permission to be angry.

b) "Concealed" Anger
- If you identified with statements 4, 5, and 6, this style may describe you.
- "Concealed" anger often looks like passive aggressive behavior and tries to cause frustration through inaction
- Treatment includes learning to give direct "yes" or "no" answers, focusing on positive goals, and finding the reasons behind passive and indirect behavior.

c) Paranoia
- If you identified with statements 7, 8, and 9, this style may describe you.
- Paranoia will cause projection of anger onto others, as well as respond defensively with anger or aggression
- Treatment includes taking responsibility for ones emotions and anger, becoming aware of vigilant behavior, and developing trust.

Explosive Styles - These individuals periodically demonstrate their anger and aggression through dramatic outbursts.

a) Sudden Anger
- If you identified with statements 10, 11, and 12, this style may describe you.
- Sudden anger comes out as rapid, usually short-lived, intense bursts.
- Treatment includes slowing down anger, time outs, and gaining awareness of the building stages of anger.

b) Shame Based Anger
- If you identified with statements 13, 14, and 15, this style may describe you.
- Shame based anger perceives an attack on a person's core self. Anger may be directed to oneself through self destruction.
- Treatment includes addressing the connection between shame and rage, building self esteem, and addressing shaming and blaming issues.

c) Deliberate Anger
- If you identified with statements 16, 17, and 18, this style may describe you.
- Deliberate anger is expressed purposely in order to intimidate.
- Treatment includes discussing the gains and losses of the behavior, empathy training, and communication skills training.

d) Excitatory Anger
- If you identified with statements 19, 20, and 21, this style may describe you.
- Excitatory anger seeks the intensity that comes with a rush of anger.
- Treatment includes commitment to moderation and calmness, seeking a new lifestyle, and acknowledging stimulant addiction pattern.

Chronic Styles - These individuals have developed long term anger patterns that keep them angry, bitter, and resentful.

a) Habitual Anger
- If you identified with statements 22, 23, and 24, this style may describe you.
- Habitual anger is fueled by automatic thoughts and actions, and perpetuates non-functional anger.
- Treatment includes increasing awareness of behavior, focusing on a person's choices, and practicing new behavior.

b) Moral Anger
- If you identified with statements 25, 26, and 27, this style may describe you.
- Moral anger is perceived as just, righteous, for a greater cause than oneself.
- Treatment includes empathy in order to de-villianize others, and emphasis on humanity and equality.

c) Resentment / Hate
- If you identified with statements 28, 29, and 30, this style may describe you.
- Resentment causes one to treat others as loathsome and unforgivable.
- Treatment includes giving acceptance to oneself as gift, learning to let go of the past, and resentment prevention.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 1.1: Rational Emotive Therapy (RET) - A Method to Address Distorted Thinking

Rational Emotive Therapy is based upon a cognitive behavioral approach developed by Albert Ellis. The goal of this module is to foster a better understanding of how our thoughts influence our emotions and how modifications in our thoughts can lead to a positive change in our emotional state. Three components are: 1) Event - for example; divorce, marriage, new job 2) Thoughts - this involves our beliefs, attitudes, and interpretations 3) Feelings - this involves an emotional reaction and may be experience both physically and behaviorally [Diagram] EVENT -> (do not cause) -> FEELINGS EVENT -> THOUGHTS --> FEELINGS According to RET, events do not cause feelings. It is not the event but how we interpret the event (thoughts) that lead to feelings. Problems in RET 1. RET is not a communication skill (Module 3: Communication and Assertiveness soon). It is intended to decrease intensity and duration of feelings, but not to eliminate them. 2. It is not the only

Module 3.6: Responsible Assertiveness

Responsible Assertive Behavior Definition : Standing up for personal rights and expressing thoughts, feelings, and beliefs in direct, honest and appropriate ways, without denying the rights of others or hurting others. It involves getting across a message such as, "This is what I think", "This is how I feel", or "This is my point of view". The Two Types of Respect Involved : Respect of one's self, one's own rights and needs, and respect for the needs and rights of others. The Goals of Responsible Assertive Behavior Direct, honest communication and "mutuality" means getting and giving respect, asking for (and giving) fair play, and an equal exchange. This allows room for compromise when needs and rights conflict. If you're afraid of hurting others feelings by behaving assertively, this risk is minimized. People who do become hurt may either be too sensitive, or they may be trying to manipulate you into feeling guilty by sho

Module 2.8: Boundaries

Setting Limits: Creating Healthy Boundaries Jenny's mother is ill and lives alone. Although she can afford it, Jenny's mother refuses to hire anyone to help her with housework and meals, so Jenny rushes over every day after work to prepare her a meal, do some cleaning and laundry. By the time she gets home to start supper for her own family, Jenny is feeling tired and resentful. Seven year old Matthew has been signed up for hockey, even though he doesn't want to play. He tells his dad that he's afraid he'll get hurt. His father replies in anger, "I can't believe you're such a wimp, I don't want to hear any more of that kind of talk!" Mark's boss confides in Mark about her problems with her husband and other personal matters. Lately, she has started to talk to Mark about her concerns with other employees, Mark's peers. Mark feels uncomfortable with this, but is reluctant to say anything, since his employee review is coming up soon.